Breathe

St Abbs Harbour

This is my church today. The waves breathe in and out over the rocks and breathe into the harbour.  The wind breathes over the scene, lifting seabirds higher and then bringing them down gently.

As for me, I am breathing in the clean, salty air and breathing out the cares of the last half term.  Breathing in the quiet and calm and breathing out the busyness of the new routine, the essay deadline, the reading, the meetings and rehearsals, the busy life that my whole family lead.

I am taking the time that I have today - this precious, rare moment of not having to be anywhere or do anything - to breathe in all that has been good about this term so far: the new friends made, the things I have learnt, the kindness and hospitality of my new church. I am taking time to breathe in the sense of being God’s beloved daughter.

I know that it’s always there but it does me good to consciously look for it and feel it, listening to him, knowing he delights in us. I am breathing in the blessings that he showers on us every day and particularly this half term week when M and I get to be together for a week of uninterrupted time with our beautiful boys.  

I didn’t know it at the time but I think I have held my breath for a half a term whilst I’ve got used to all the newness. Today, I am breathing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of Many Talents

Multiplication

The End of the Beginning (or Time to Say Goodbye?)